Sunday, October 10, 2010

Amsterdam, Sin City of Europe

Today I arrived in Amsterdam, and while it is a very pretty city, my first impresions are not that great. First off, this place is very expensive. Most meals are €10 or more (unless you search), it's QUITE crowded, and (most importan to me) my hostel sucks. No one ants to hat , everyone is either in a huge group already or on their computer playing games or really high. The worst is the computers: I see 7/10 people on computers. Boo!

Other than the negative first impression of Amsterdam, I should mention Hamburg. I was there for he last two nights, and THAT city was expensive, too, but not as bad as here. Many things to do in the city, though, and plenty to see for free. I took a free walking tour one day and, while it was interesting, I really know why I hate those touristy things (which is what this was). Totally met some cool people here, though. Hung out with one of 'em for the rest of the afternoon; we just wandered around the wharf area, checked out the famous Fishmarkt site, and took a ride on a boat. Cool to see stuff, the tie. Reminded me a lot of Minneapolis (environment and vibe-wise), but throw in a huge harbor area. Saw the famous Reeperbahn street, which is a red-light district and club scene. The bar where the Beatles played is there; woo, Beatles! But, ultimately, as I don't want a hooker, and I was still recovering from Prague, I didn't stay out too late. I Hamburg would be better experienced with a good friend, or girlfriend. Probably the same here in Amsterdam, I expect.

On a better note, I have really enjoyed my stops in Germany. Every city had a cool thing to see, or interesting history to it, and above all nice people. I have met so many friendly and cool people in Germany. . .makes me want to live there.

The Netherlands looked amazing, too. From the train ride, all of the towns and farmlands looked great; I would SERIOUSLY look into living here. . .if I knew Dutch. I really like how everyone rides their bike everywhere. Some roads are mainly for bikes, and any car on the street is treated a little oddly. And the bike parking lots. . .totally cool.

After three nights here in Amsterdam, I am headed to a fiends couch, in Haarlem. Free lodgings, a night out on the town, and good company, what could be better!

Getting a sinking feeling that my trip is getting closer and closer to it's end. I don't really want that. . .I really like it here in Europe, and want to stay. But, I already have the ticket back, and I miss home somewhat. It's just. . .every fellow traveller or hitchhiker I talk to motivates and invigorates me, makes me want to stay on the road and experience life to it's fullest. I have a funny feeling that I will be back here, and not so far in the future, too.

-Dyl

P.S. - I miss Prague. Cheap beer, food, and awesome friends, that city was the place to be. I think my next trip may be in Eastern Europe. Elise from B and N, you win.

3 comments:

  1. Dylan, of course you want to stay. Your on vacation, bitten by the travel bug! Try to do a canal ride in Amsterdam, it's interesting to see the houseboats from the water. The flower markets and museums are wonderful too. There is much to see in this city, it's not all about space-cake and "coffeeshops". Have fun, hopefully you will meet someone to chat with.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the Anne Frank house today. . .some crazy stuff, there. Lotsa history in this town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you saw the Anne Frank house, makes the history and her book more meaningful, even though it is very sad. The Rijksmuseum is my favorite, love the beautiful inlaid woodwork. Did you come in via the train station? Magnificent architecture. Do visit the wax museum if you can. Does Plein Square still have street music and such? That was my favorite hang-out in Amsterdam. The Kroller Muller museum is really fun too. Have fun, Dylan!

    ReplyDelete