Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Danger by the Ferris Wheel

This is being written in the downstairs bar of my hostel, the Clown and Bard. Can't say enough positive things about this place, it is fantastic. Just a few minutes from the train station, and a few more from a slew of clubs, bars, and coffeeshops. It's been two nights here so far, and I am thoroughly enjoying Prague.

The prices here are dirt cheap. A pint of beer is under a Euro, and it is fantastic. A nice nice lunch is around five Euro, and entrance to swanky museums is like 7, 8 Euro. Their currency comes in 1000, 2000, and 5000 notes.

Two days ago, on the train from Berlin to Prague, I met an awesome Austrian guy, named Chris, on his was back to Vienna where he is studying Physics. We talked for 5 hours or more, and he offered me his couch in Vienna (potentially). Gotta see if this will work or not. . .it may! After my long day of travel, got to the hostel and checked in; I'm on the top floor (6th) with no lift. Lotta stairs. Ended up staying downstairs for the night drinking a number of delicious beers, and met two awesome people: Deborah and Pete. Deborah is a lesbian musician/artist/illustrator visiting Prague who lives in the Netherlands. She offered to show me around Amsterdam and perhaps the Hague. Totally a sweet person; we ended up playing Dutch hearts the next morning. Pete: Brit from Liverpool who studied architecture, and is traveling for two weeks. He will be in Amsterdam when I am, we will probably hang out again. We also wandered around the city yesterday, just us two, attempting to see a museum (closed on Mondays, just like all of Europe). Ended up wandering into an abandoned amusement park; this was the most amazing place I have been to so far. Creepy, rusty rides, a huge ferris wheel, and gypsy homes were all around. Had the best time of my life, wandering around and getting some photos, as this was some place I had never expected to be in my life. Such a soviet feel to it; dark sky, a few lazy guards around, and abandoned things just lying around. Just like a movie set, and almost indescribable in words. Awesome day. Anyways, after that, Pete and I walked into the city and bummed around for a bit, just taking in the sweet sights. Took a nap afterwards, and ended up resting til this morning. Pete just got up, and I got advice on a few exhibits to go and see, and a club or two to visit. I'll post more soon.

-Dyl

P.S. - Coffee is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment