Tuesday, October 12, 2010

And In The End. . .

It is dawning upon me that my trip is nearing it's close. I'm trying not to think about it. . .better things to do. Like explore Europe more!

So Amsterdam. . .this town isn't as cool as I thought it would be. The sights are very beautiful, yes, and there are plenty of museums that I have seen. And who could forget a stroll through the red light district and the numerous coffeeshops. . .but this city is a little less friendly than I have seen in the rest of Europe. All of the visitors are high or horny, and most of the shop owners don't like chatting - maybe they think I will just be blitzed and incoherent.

In any case, innate found the sights the most beautiful/entertaining thing of the city, rather than the people; first time this trip. I spent most of the day today I Vogel Park, Amsterdams largest and oldest park. . .amazing that such a peaceful place (and so big) right in a major urban center. I have a mixed opinion of this city. . .this might be one of he places it would be better to live in than visit.

I didn't have one decent conversation with anyone today, except by email. I really miss having my friends around to just chat with.

However, this will be remedied tomorrow: I'm off to Haarlem to stay on someones couch. A girl I met in Prague is letting me stay with her (don't worry, Kristi, she doesn't like boys), and offered to show me around Haarlem. The town is the oldest in the Netherlands, and supposed to be beautiful. I hope so!

Almost went to a football match today, but it was €100 or more. Netherlands vs. Sweden. It was very one-sided; the Netherlands is very good. But I did buy a bright orange hoody, as I needed another long sleeved shirt, and it looks cool.

Perhaps it's me taking to heart the Dutch attitude toasted things. . .they love accomdationg people here, it's the cornerstone of their cultural identity, and I have enjoyed it here, all in all. On the train in, there were number of gorgeous towns I would love to tour - by bike, of course - and the country is definitely on my mind for places to live, although I think Germany is tops at the moment.

Well, it's bedtime. It's deserted here in the hostel bar, so I guess I will turn in, too. I should sleep. . .

-Dyl

P.S. - The food here is almost exactly the same as back in the states. Restaurants of every kind, not so many auhrntif Dutch restaurants that I have seen. Really, though, when one of their delicacies is pickled herrings. . .pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment