Friday, September 24, 2010

A fashionable shower in Milan

We have ended up Milan for the last stretch of our trip here in Italy together. Today was our first full day here in the trendy city where EVERYTHING is overpriced on the main boulevards. They say that Milan is one of the central hubs of commerce here in Europe, and I believe it. We have seen about a thousand businessmen and women, all in fancy Italian suits (jealous), many of them shopping at some of the trendiest and most expensive stores I have seen since New York. Walking those avenues. . .didn't feel quite like Europe. Just felt too swanky, but only in the worst possible way. . .I don't like Milan so much.

But there is some amazing art and fashion here. This week is Fashion Week, or perhaps every week is here (who knows), but in any case there were a bunch of fashion events going on all day. Hair salons were set up in the middle of the street, prices were high for lunch, and (best of all), there is a performance art piece in the center plaza tonight. K and I were fortunate enough to wander through the Piazza del Duomo at the right time to see a final rehersal for their performance tonight; may I just say wow. . .Italians can dance. The show is for a fashion costume exhibition, and the dance was, to the best of my perceptions, technology themed, the mix of classic style to new elegance. . .and the costumes for the dancers will be robot suits. At least I hope so. . .their dance seemed to evoke robot suit pictures in my brain.

As I said in the title, it's raining here. Been pouring for a good hour, and I don't know if it'll let up by the performance at 8. . .only 2 hours away from now. K and I may have to rethink our plans for tonight.

-Dyl

P.S. - We actually didn't go to cinque terre yet. My last post was a lie, as it turns out, and I apologize to all of you adoring fans. We had been planning to head to C.T., but we couldn't find any open reservations at hostels at all in any nearby city. Had we still opted to go here at that time, it would have cost us at least two travel days on our Eurail Pass, and a ton of money, not to mention a rushed trip and a chaotic fly-by-seat-of-pants type day. We went to Austria instead! More on that later. . .

P.P.S. - I missed my P.S. from last post , as it was made just as we figured out that there were no reservations left in cinque terre. This is my makeup P.S..

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee, so your backpack doesn't fit in with the swanky Italian suits? Hope the people are nice. Love your posts!
    Mom

    P.S., Hi Dylan - this is Grandma Pat. I am spending the weekend with your mother and just read the last message. Your mom sent us the first messages and I have been following along at home. Don't have an account so I am glad I can send a message along with your mother's. It sounds like you are seeing a lot and enjoying it. Is Kristy about to come home? You will be lonesome without her I bet. It is always more fun for me if someone is with me to see and do things. Greet Kristy, have fun. We will be anxious to to hear all about your adventures when you get home. Love you, Grandma Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my mom and grandma:

    Thank you both for posting! Its so nice to find comments when I log onto this blog, nice to hear from home. I'm glad t ou are both enjoying my update, hopefully they'll be more frequent.

    ReplyDelete