Sunday, September 26, 2010

Generally Genoa

Just got back from Genoa about two hours ago. This was the place we had booked that was close to cinque terre. . .even if we didn't go there. Too rainy yesterday, too stressful for us. We got to the city in the afternoon, already a bit frazzled and completely hungry, and super confused about the transportation system in Genoa. We ended ip taking a lift (accendare) up the cliffsides upon which the city is built. This lift. . .it was like a mix of tram car and elevator, taking us up a few hundred meters to get to our busstop. Totally awesome, totally a new experience. Very unique to a cliff community.

Out hostel in Genoa was awesome, at one time one of the best hostels in the world (or so they claim). But the place had really nice, clean beds, a good sized bar area with bunches of purchasable foods, and a stellar lounge area which included a library. Probably the best traditional hostel we've stayed at so far. Breakfast, too, which is always nice. We put our bags in our rooms, and then headed into town for some dinner, which we struggled to find. It was a bit too early, five or so, and very few places were open yet; they don't open for dinner til 7 or 8 usually, and definitely not so early on a weekend night. But we found a place, and we ordered w/o actually knowing what we ordered, as the staff didn't speak much/any English. It had worked out well in the past, ordering blindly, but this time it was rough: I ordered polvo con patate, which turned out to be octopus and potatoes! I knew patate, but was very surprised to find polvo with tentacles and stuff on my plate. Not terrible, might I add. . .but I wouldn't order it again.

Our night ended with a wander throughout the main shopping district of Genoa, right on the coastline. Gorgeous. We only had one night there, but K and I agreed that it would have nice to explore the city a but more. It was then a packed train ride back to Milan, and here we be.

My next order of business: I have a ticket back from Europe! I'm not sure if I'm excited ir nervous or anxious to get back, but I have a flight. By the evening of October 25, I shall be back in Minneapolis. I flag from Brussels, which was about $100 dollars cheaper than Amsterdam and Paris; unexpected, as I hadn't ever pictured Brussels as a major airhub. But, in any case, my flight leaves at 10ish in the morning, stops at O'Hare, then touches down in Minneapolis at 5-something. But that is too far ahead to really think about. . .I'm just getting my schedule sorted our for next week.

K returns on Tuesday the 28th, and I think I have my schedule planned out from then on, if loosely. I'm headed strait to Munich (actually probably Augsberg) where I shall stay to experience Oktoberfest, then off to Prague for a goo while, and finally back over to the west into Belgium and the Netherlands. Gotta see Amsterdam, every person ever has told me so. Other than this rough schedule, I have no idea where specifically I'll be, but that's just what I want. . .the freedom to leave early or stay an extra day if I want. I like travel like that.

-Dyl

P.S. - Gotta say, I would never ever EVER be a bus driver in Genoa. The agrees there are curving winding, beautiful small streets, but getting a bulky bus around on those streets seems like pure he'll. . .and the speeding! I'm quite glad we decided against a car. . .

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan! Just read your last writing. Saw you were going to Munich - are you considering visiting one of the concentration camps from the second world war? It is a very interesting part of our past history and I think something as many people as possible should see. Grandma Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Grandma: well, I think I will have time to see a concentration camp, but I haven't made official plans to see one yet. I have a few more days in Germany, so I shall keep you guys updated.

    ReplyDelete