Saturday, September 11, 2010

Its been a long time. . .in Rome, that is!

Sorry, first off, for the absence of posts.  Its been a bit hectic here in Rome.  K and I are in a hostel at the northern outskirts of the city, and we've been seeing a bunch of the cityscape.  The last few days have been about six or seven long hours of walking. . .in the heat and the crowds.  But at least we can stop for gelato at almost every street-corner.

Today in particular was rough.  This was the day we went to the ancient roman sites of interest: colosseum, the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, and the Baths of Caracalla. . .of which, the baths were totally the most interesting and least crowded.  We actually decided to skip entering the colosseum, for the lines were a billion years long, and we could see somewhat inside the gates anyways.

Sidenote: Kristi says happy birthday Jenna Kramer!

Rome itself has been. . .well, lame.  It seems to me just another large city, with some very very touristy sites within.  The crowds are terrible, always, and the tourists stupid and (almost) cruel to the Italians in their helplessness.  This is not to say that there aren't amazing things in this city; when I first set foot in St. Peters Plaza, for example, or witnessing the glory of the fallen Roman empire through their monuments passed through the ages.  These things are wonderful to see, but I am witness to many more crappy tourist shops and junk salesmen and scam artists than actual monument and art.  Perhaps I am just not finding the right places and meeting the right people, but I must say I am disappointed with Rome.  Venice was much better.

We DID find an amazing Irish pub (well, I think so; Kristi is a bit tired of me talking about this place).  The owners were very happy to talk to me and Kristi, which many of the other shopkeepers seemed hesitant to do.  Perhaps its because we ourselves are tourists - it IS obvious - but some part of me felt that the Irish bartender and English waitresses were happy to hear the English language as much as we liked speaking it, thus opening an avenue of conversation.  Plus, this place had an awesome beef stew, and I had it at a time when I really needed a good, hearty, delicious meal.  Perhaps I can convince Kristi to go back there tonight . .they had a wide selection of beer and alcohol, and I do enjoy alcohol. . .

All in all, I feel like we have seen enough of this city, and enough of the urban degradation which has punched its way into the Roman ruins and city of religion.  Its off to Naples tomorrow morning, and then to Pompeii tomorrow afternoon.  I expect a hot, muggy, wonderful day filled with history. . .and dust, as Kristi just said.

Happy birthday again, dad, and I hope everything is going well in the states over there. . .that last bit was for everyone, not just my dad *grin*.

-Dyl

P.S. - Zach and Rina, if you read this, give our kitties an extra big cuddle and hug for us. . .we miss them. . .terribly!

No comments:

Post a Comment